It's well known that the Japanese are excellent builders.. The reputation of their automotive brands is well established, including Mazda, Toyota and Honda. Japan is an industrialized country, where the work is a pillar fundamental. Many organization methods and industrial management techniques come from the land of the Rising Sun. method of the 5S. No wonder that many heat pumps are built in Japan and are of high quality.
In this article, we look back at the 5 best Japanese air-to-water heat pumpsand also the most popular.
Mitsubishi heat pumps
Mitsubishi was founded in Japan in 1921, and today employs 120,000 people worldwide, with annual sales of 40 billion euros! It was only in 1991 that the Mitsubishi Electric branch began selling air-conditioning and heating solutions, including heat pumps, air conditioning, hot water tanks and home automation.
Mitsubishi Air Water heat pump models
Mitsu Electric's flagship model, the Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox, comes in 4 variants depending on use.
- For heating only: the Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox
- For heating and cooling: the Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox reversible
- For heating and domestic hot water: the Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox Duo
- For heating, cooling and domestic hot water: the Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox Duo Reversible
Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox & Ecodan Hydrobox reversible
Designed to heat and/or cool water in the heating network, the Ecodan Hydrobox is a split R32 model. The unit consists of a hydraulic module for indoor installation, connected by a refrigerant link to an outdoor unit for installation on the facade or further away.
This heat pump model is available in 3 variants depending on the required power:
- From 4 to 8kW models: these are the Eco Inverter 4, 6, and 8for the spaces of small size < 100m2. All equipped with the Eco Inverter technology Mitsubishi, these models have a COP up to 5.2. Etas is 187% at 35°Cwhich gives an energy class A+++ and 132% at 55°C which gives a class A++
- From 8 to 16kW models: these are the Power Inverter Silence 8 and Zubadan Silence 8for medium-sized spaces, between 100 and 150m2. They have respectively the technologies Power Inverter, and Zubadan, as well as the Silence shown below. A COP up to 5an Etas at 35°C of 180% for a class A+++and a Etas from 131 to 55°C for a class A++
- From 17 to 25 kW models: these are the Power Inverter 22 and 25 Trias well as the Zubadan 23 Tri. for large villas or buildings, between 150 and 250m2. A COP up to 4.2. Etas at 35°C of about 165%, and at 55°C of 128, which gives an A++ class
Mitsubishi Ecodan Hydrobox Duo & Ecodan Hydrobox Duo Reversible
These models are quite similar to the models that do only heating or cooling, but have an integrated hot water cylinder in the hydraulic unit. The result is a slightly larger interior module, about the size of a good fridge.
For this model of heat pump, there are only 2 variants from 4 to 16kW:
- From 4 to 8kW These are the Eco Inverter Duo 4 170L or 200L and Eco Inverter Duo 6 170L or 200L. For small spaces size > 100m2 who need heating + hot water. Techno Eco Inverter, COP up to 5.2. Etas 35°C of 187% and 55°C of 132% of which gives class A++ or A++
- From 8 to 16kW models: these are the Power Inverter Silence Duo 8 170L or 200L or 300Lfor a larger space or a larger family that needs heating + hot water up to 300L (about 6 people). COP 5.2. Etas 35°C of 178/ for class A++, and Etas 55°C of 131% for class A++.
Technical specifications of Mitsubishi heat pumps
Mitsubishi and its research lab have developed several technologies to equip heat pumps, making them competitive products that adapt to regulations and customer desires.
Mitsubishi has designed a special chassis for the heat pump, so that a perfectly shaped fan can be installed to limit air noise in the outer block. In addition, the compressor is insulated to keep noise to a minimum. The gain over standard models is around -13dBA less sound power. That's around 2 times less noise for the ear (10dBA being about half as much noise in human perception).
A fairly standard technology in all compressors to date, they can adapt their speed according to demand for heating or cooling, thus limiting wear and tear and untimely start-ups that can lead to breakage.
From the Japanese word Zubadan, which means Super Heater, this is the technology for super-harsh climates. The heat pump retains its power down to -15°C outside, and can even operate down to -25°C, but not at full power. The big advantage of Zubadan is that it provides a very rapid temperature rise and responds very quickly to heating demand => perfect for comfort.
The Eco-Inverter technology
This technology is based on increased heat exchange surface and special refrigerant circuit regulation for low-temperature operation, i.e. around 35°C. This enables units equipped with this technology to meet the latest standards, including RE2020.
Power Inverter technology
Thanks to the addition of a power reserve cylinder, heat pumps are more energy-efficient, can reach 60°C in hot water flow, and give 18% more performance than a conventional model.
The price of Mitsubishi heat pumps
These are the recommended retail prices for Mitsubishi heat pumps. However, you will have to go through an installer to buy them, who will receive a discount from his supplier. The recommended retail price is the maximum price at which you should buy this heat pump
|Model||Public price in € incl. VAT||Function|
|Eco Inverter 4||6865 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Eco Inverter 6||7698 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Eco Inverter 8||8718 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Power Inverter Silence 8 R32||9348 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Zubadan Silence 8 R32||11994 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Power Inverter 22 Tri||16224 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Zubadan 23 Tri||22971 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Power Inverter 25 Tri||17976 €||Hot and/or cold|
|Eco Inverter Duo 4 170L||10117 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Eco Inverter Duo 4 200L||10243 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Eco Inverter Duo 6 170L||10950 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Eco Inverter Duo 6 200L||11076 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Power Inverter Silence Duo 8 170L R32||12600 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Power Inverter Silence Duo 8 200L R32||12726 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
|Power Inverter Silence Duo 8 300L R32||13104 €||Heating and/or cooling + DHW|
Daikin heat pumps
Daikin is a Japanese company founded in 1924. It employs around 10,000 people worldwide, generating annual sales of between 3 and 4 billion. It is a benchmark in the world of heating and air conditioning, and a very popular brand in Europe in the world of heat pumps.
Daikin air-to-water heat pump models
The Daikin air-to-water heat pump models is available in two variants: there are models for medium temperature and models for high temperature.
Daikin medium temperature air water heat pumps
We have 3 models capable of delivering medium water temperatures, i.e. max. 55°C 60°C:
- Daikin Altherma 3M : the small one. Between 9 and 16kW A7/W35. SCOP at 55°C 3.5 with Etas 130% and SCOP at 35°C 4.5 with Etas 180%. Sound power 62dBA
- Daikin Altherma 3R : the compact. Between 9 and 11kW A7W35. SCOP same as 3M Altherma model.
- Daikin Altherma 3H MT : the classic. Between 7.5 and 10.5kW of hot power A-7/W55. Cop of 2 approximately. Output 60°C
Daikin high temperature air water heat pumps
This is Daikin's most popular type of heat pump: theAltherma 3H HT available in 3 sizes delivering power between 10 and 12kW A-7/W60. Water outlet temperature Max 70°C. Read our review of this model.
Some technical specifications of the Japanese brand Daikin
The Daikin brand is innovative and offers technology that is constantly evolving to meet consumer demand.
Double injection scroll compressor
This technology enables a water outlet temperature of 70°C to be reached, even at extreme outside temperatures such as -15°C.
3-layer insulated compressor
The compressor is specially insulated to eliminate noise.
Fan grill designed to reduce noise
As much as noise is a very real auditory perception, it is also influenced by our visual impressions. That's why Daikin has designed a grille whose appearance has been specially studied to reduce the "visual" impression of noise that often leads us to overestimate the noise actually generated.
Daikin heat pump prices
|Model||Public price in € incl. VAT|
|Daikin Altherma 3 M 4-6-8||3500€ à 4000€|
|Daikin Altherma 3 M 11- 14 - 16||5000€ à 6000€|
|Daikin Altherma 3 R||6500€ à 7500€|
|Daikin Altherma 3H MT 8-10-12||6700€ à 9900€|
|Daikin Altherma 3H HT Size 14||11000€|
|Daikin Altherma 3H HT Size 16||11500€|
|Daikin Altherma 3H HT Size 18||12500€|
Panasonic heat pumps
Panasonic is a Japanese company and brand founded by Konosuke Matsuhita. The heating and air conditioning branch released its first air conditioner in 1958, and its first high performance heat pump in Japan in 1973. The Aquarea line of heat pumps was introduced in 2010, with the next generation heat pumps evolving in 2022 with the Aquarea K and L series.
Air-to-water heat pump models from the Japanese brand Panasonic
Panasonic air-to-water heat pumps are available in 5 variants:
- For new buildings: Aquarea Ecoflex
- For well insulated standard buildings: Aquarea High Performance. Available in split or monobloc, with or without domestic hot water. The range goes from 3 to 16kW.
- For extreme cold: Aquarea T-CAP. Split or monobloc with or without DHW. Power ratings from 9 to 16kW. R410A operation. Water outlet 60°C.
- For old house with radiators: Aquarea HT. Split or monobloc with or without DHW, from 9 to 12kW. Can supply up to 65°C hot water, rising to 75°C for DHW sterilization.
- New multi-function range : Aquarea K and L Series. With a launch planned for the spring 2023 these heat pumps are visually worked, and work (for the L series) with a very ecological gas, propane or R290. The hot power supplied can go from 5 to 12kW in single-phase and up to 16kW in three-phase. Operates down to -25°C. Sound power of 56dBA for the 9kW model. Class A++ SCOP 5.12 at 35°C and solar panel compatibility.
Technical specifications of Panasonic Japanese air-to-water heat pumps
Rotary compressor R2
Developed by Panasonic, the R2 rotary compressor is a high-efficiency compressor based on rolling piston technology. More compact and more durable, these compressors are also quieter and more stable (less vibration). NB: they can start up to 11 times per hour instead of the standard 6, for greater robustness.
TCAP for Total Capacity Double-wall heat exchanger with fluid re-injection before the compressor suction, allowing constant heating even at very low temperatures, down to -20°C. (Heating maintained at 100% without electric back-up).
Aquarea Cloud Service
A system that allows technicians to observe and intervene on your heating system from a distance. This means lower intervention costs when intervention is needed, as well as improved responsiveness.
Panasonic heat pump prices
|Model||Public price in € incl. VAT|
|Aquarea Ecoflex||between 6000€ and 8000€.|
|Aquarea High Performance||between 6300€ and 7300€.|
|Aquarea T-CAP||between 7000€ and 8000€.|
|Aquarea HT||between 6000€ and 8000€.|
|Aquarea K and L Series||coming soon|
Hitachi Heat Pumps
JCI Hitachi is in fact a joint venture between Hitachi and Johnson Controls. 40% for the former and 60% for the latter. Created in 2015, it brings together two century-old companies, with 15,000 employees in 15 different countries.
Hitachi Heat Pump Models
Mainly R32, except for high temperature, Hitachi heat pumps all have the name Yutaki with the addition of a letter and a term:
- Yutaki S 2.0 R32 (from 4 to 8kW) or R410A (from 11 to 24kW) air-water heat pump. Operates down to -25°C, produces water up to 60°C (with make-up below -5°C, and -10°C if R410A model). COP up to 5.25 A7/W35.
- Yutaki S Combi 2.0 Yutaki S2.0: same as Yutaki S2.0, but with additional domestic hot water production. The hot water tank is located in the 1.79m-high hydraulic module, which can be placed on the floor.
- Yutaki S80 & Yutaki S80 Combi Air-to-water split heat pump from 11 to 16 kW. Maintains heating at constant power down to -15°C with thermodynamic 100% (without electric resistance) and guaranteed down to -20°C, all while producing water at 80°C. COP A7/W35 of 5.
- Yutaki M : air-water heat pump monobloc with R32 (4 to 8kW) or R410A (from 11 to 24kW). Operates down to -20°C but not in degraded heating power.
- Yutaki H & Yutaki H Combi Hydraulic split heat pump, also known as hydrosplit, where the indoor and outdoor units are connected by hydraulic lines instead of refrigerant. Power ratings from 11 to 16 kW, R32 operation. Domestic hot water production at 60°C even at -10°C outside, and 55°C even at -20°C outside. 100% thermodynamic up to A-7/W55 (i.e. below -7°C, either no water is supplied at 55°C, or an electric booster heater is used).
Some technical features of Hitachi heat pumps
A very thin outer group
Hitachi is making efforts to reduce the size of the outdoor unit, which is becoming thinner and thinner, at around 30cm thick. This reduces the visual impact on your home.
Insulation of the ECS tank in NEOPOR
The insulation of the hot water tank is particularly effective, since it is made from an innovative material: NEOPOR. This is an alloy between styrene C8H8 and graphex (granite graphite) developed by BASF. This alloy is approximately 30% more insulating than polystyrene. The use of this material reflects the brand's innovative character, and helps limit heat loss from domestic hot water in COMBI systems.
Hitachi Heat Pump Prices
|Model||Public price in € incl. VAT|
|Yutaki S 2.0||between 4000€ and 5200€.|
|Yutaki S2.0 Combi||between 5900€ and 7000€.|
|Yutaki S80||between 5900€ and 7700€.|
|Yutaki S80 Combi||between 10900€ and 11400€.|
|Yutaki M||between 5900€ and 7700€.|
|Yutaki H & Yutaki H Combi||coming soon|
Toshiba heat pumps
Founded in 1875 by Japan's Thomas Edison, Mr. Tanaka, and another inventor by the name of Fujioka, Toshiba is dedicated to improving the lives of the Japanese people. Toshiba has more than 140,000 employees in 64 countries, and annual sales of over 30 billion US dollars.
Toshiba air-to-water heat pump models
Toshiba's air-to-water heat pump models are called Estia :
- The air water heat pump ESTIA with integrated ECS R32-powered, offers hot water flow temperatures up to 65°C, and even 62°C when it is -25°C outside. Integrated 210L hot water tank. Split heat pump: indoor + outdoor. The available powers range from 4 kW to 11 kW in hot A7/W35
- The air water heat pump ESTIA Wall-mounted: Same as the model below, but without domestic hot water production. Just for heating from 4 to 11kW A7/W35.
Technical specifications of Toshiba air-to-water heat pumps
Twin Rotary compressor
Toshiba is a proven compressor specialist, and has developed Twin Rotary 2-stage compressor technology that can operate at 10% of its rated power if required to adapt to conditions and maximize energy savings.
Maximum compactness of the hydraulic module
The hydraulic indoor unit in wall-mounted mode takes up very little space, being just 235mm thick, making it one of the thinnest indoor units on the market. If the hot water cylinder is integrated, the module takes up conventional dimensions, with a thickness of 670mm.
The price of Toshiba air water heat pumps
|Model||Public price in € incl. VAT|
|Estia Integrated DHW||between 5000€ and 7500€.|
|Estia Mural||between 4000€ and 6500€.|
About the author
Juliena mechanical engineering graduate and specialist in climate engineering since 2009, has become a writer specializing in renewable energies, with expertise in heat pumps and photovoltaic solar panels for individual housing.